Shine your Light and Love people

"OUR DEEPEST IS NOT THAT WE ARE INADEQUATE.OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS THAT WE ARE POWERFUL BEYOND MEASURE. IT IS OUR LIGHT, NOT OUR DARKNESS, THAT MOST FRIGHTENS US.

WE ASK OURSELVES: WHO AM I TO BE BRILLIANT, GORGEOUS, TALENTED, FABULOUS? ACTUALLY, WHO ARE YOU NOT TO BE?
YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD. YOUR PLAYING SMALL DOES NOT SERVE THE WORLD.THERE IS NOTHING ENLIGHTENED ABOUT SHRINKING SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE WON'T FEEL INSECURE AROUND YOU. WE ARE ALL MEANT TO SHINE, AS CHILDREN DO.WE WERE BORN TO MAKE MANIFEST THE GLORY OF GOD IN US. IT'S NOT JUST SOME OF US. IT'S IN EVERYONE.
AND AS WE LET OUR LIGHT SHINE, WE UNCONSCIOUSLY GIVE OTHER PEOPLE PERMISSION TO DO THE SAME. AS WE ARE LIBERATED FROM OUR OWN FEAR, OUR PRESENCE AUTOMATICALLY LIBERATES OTHERS"


(Marianne Williamson - and quoted by Nelson Mandela 1994 at his inauguration)

Thursday, February 23, 2017

A WILLING HEART Psalm 139:23-24

Sermon notes Vue Du Cap
20.02.2017
A willing Heart


Introduction:
Since the end of last year, my desire grew to go deeper with God/ grow closer to God
God led me to Psalm 139 v 23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.”

It is a psalm of David
The last two verses stand out. The rest is written in a poetic language
The last two verses are a prayer to stay on course/ to check ourselves

The foundation to be able to pray this:
-trust
-the right knowledge of the character of God
-God is a good good Father
-God is faithful and trustworthy
-I need to let God speak into my life
-That helps to be right with God/to show remorse and a readiness to repent
Psalm 26 v 2; Psalm 143 v 10; Psalm 5 v 8; Job 31 v 6

Look at Psalm 51 (background: David's sin)
  • verse 10: Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me
  • a new heart and a new spirit (Ezekiel 18 v 31)
  • to create = bara - to bring into existence, to fashion existing matter into something new
  • verse 17: key is a contrite heart
  • contrite: a crushed, broken heart/grieving, penitent for sin/it offers no excuse and shifts no blame/it sees our sin the way God sees it/it does not take God's forgiveness for granted
  • contrite: having a heart of repentance/to be seen in connection with humility/poor in spirit and fear of the Lord
  • A contrite heart seeks the strength of God to overcome sin and to move on towards holiness
  • It is a WILLING HEART
  • God is pleased with a willing heart that seeks to please Him and that is open for correction
Psalm 34 v 18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted;
    he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

Isaiah 57 v 15
The high and lofty one who lives in eternity,
    the Holy One, says this:
“I live in the high and holy place
    with those whose spirits are contrite and humble.
I restore the crushed spirit of the humble
    and revive the courage of those with repentant heart”

Isaiah 66 v 2
My hands have made both heaven and earth;
    they and everything in them are mine.[a]
    I, the
Lord, have spoken!
I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts,
    who tremble at my word.”


Matth. 5 v 4
God blesses those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.

Luke 18 v 10-14
Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer[a]: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’
13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”






Ending off with a deeper look of Psalm 139 verses 23-24
Search my heart
Test me
Show
Lead

No comments: